Call it the Makeover Millennium. The mania for a newer, better you and me - from trading entire rooms at the hands of designers and neighbors, to complete lifestyle overhauls under the watchful eye of the Fab Five - has come to man's best friends. Evidence: Hildi Santo Tomas, makeover expert from TLC's Trading Spaces, has teamed with Iams to help pet owners with - what else - simple, quick and inexpensive ways to transform their pets from ordinary to extraordinary.
"My Lab, Pluto, is the joy of my life," says Santo Tomas. "I'm just as passionate about seeing pets become the healthiest and best they can be as I am about seeing homeowners transform their living spaces into something extraordinary."
There are some simple steps pet owners can take to give their pets a quick makeover this spring.
- Pets need dental care, including regular brushing and professional cleaning, to keep their teeth healthy and gleaming.
- Consistent grooming - including bathing and trimming nails - keeps pets looking their best by removing dead skin and hair, dirt and pollen.
- Playtime helps pet owners bond with their pets and keeps them in tip top physical condition. Daily exercise is beneficial to pets' overall health.
- Nutrition is vital to healthy skin and coat. Don't feed pets human food - it's not properly balanced for pets and can lead to begging at the dinner table.
Iams research has shown that in as little as four weeks, a pet owner who switches from regular pet food to Iams Dog & Cat Foods can begin to see signs of a healthier pet, such as:
- Soft, shinier coat - Pet owners should notice a new luster and feel a silky thickness and softness.
- Tartar control - There should be less yellowish buildup on the pet's teeth.
- Healthy digestion - Small, firm stools are a natural result of proper nutrition, which can make backyard and litter-box clean up a little bit easier.
- Strong, firm muscles - Overall, pet owners should notice a healthy weight and body condition, and their pets may seem to enjoy playtime more.
- Healthy vitality - Perhaps the most noticeable difference will be in the pet's energy, including more bounce in his step, and more joy in his jump.
"Pluto is a part of my family," says Santo Tomas. "I want every good thing for him because I want him to be as healthy as possible for as long as possible. Iams can make a difference in the quality of your pet's life - and if you're like me, a healthy pet makes a difference in the quality of your life."
The easiest way for pet owners to start to see a difference in their pets is to call (800) 863-4267 to request a free "Iams Pet Makeover" kit (while supplies last). Each kit contains makeover tips on grooming and dental health, Iams Dog and Cat Food coupons, and information on the importance of premium nutrition in giving pets the right balance of nutrients and helping them maintain their proper weight.
The kit also includes an entry form for the Iams Stronger, Shinier, Healthier Pet Makeover Contest. To enter the contest, entrants are asked to submit one "before" photo of their dog or cat taken prior to feeding their pet Iams dog or cat food during the four-week challenge, and one "after" photo, along with 50 words or less about what differences they saw in their pet. Also included in the kit: a Pet Makeover Progress Checklist, a coupon good for a free "after" pet portrait sitting at The Picture People family portrait studios, and a pet placemat that holds a 5"x7" photo.
Grand prize is an all-expense paid trip for one pet, the winner and one other adult to Loews Miami Beach Hotel for three days and two nights in a luxury suite, plus a lifetime supply of Iams pet food, a $250 gift certificate to the hotel spa, a bath and grooming session for the pet and dinner for two at Emeril's. Second prize is a three-year supply of Iams pet food, and third prize is a one-year supply.
Iams provides quality foods and pet care products.